Parker Huggett Limited
Construction Manager – Permanent – 2515 Kingston, ON
About the Opportunity
Our client, a well-established general contractor that specializes in Industrial, Commercial and Institutional (ICI) sectors of the construction industry. The Company is located in Kingston and operates across Eastern Ontario. It specializes in industrial work, including power generation stations and associated infrastructure across Eastern Ontario.
Our client’s core values are: safety, community, relationships, and innovation. If you’re interested in learning more about our client and potentially transitioning to this excellent company, please call us to discuss.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Reviews drawing and specification, integrate the schedule, costing, procurement, and logistics activities to meet project requirements
- Develop project schedule with the estimator, project superintendent and subcontractors
- With the estimator, ensure all contracts and subcontracts are issued in accordance with the schedule. Review submissions for compliance with contract documents, codes and standards
- In collaboration with estimator, establish the project cost codes and budgets. Lead internal financial start up meetings to ensure cost code allocation is understood
- Conduct construction project start-up meetings to ensure contracts and scope are aligned with project goals and head contract requirements
- Ensure all insurances, licenses, bonds, LOC, certificates are in place and renewed
PROJECT EXECUTION and CONTROL and PROJECT CLOSE OUTS
- Coordinate the efforts of the estimator, owner, consultants, and field staff. Support the Superintendent to drive productivity on the site
- Ensure compliance with all Occupational Health & Safety Acts and Construction Safety Act, site-specific regulations and environment regulations and policies
- Hold regular client and subcontract progress meetings
- Actively manage project risk including schedules, scope changes, budgets, and billing
- Review RFIs and change order requests for completeness and clarity
- Respect and enforce quality control and quality assurance programs
- Negotiate and interpret the intent of contract documents and mediate disputes
- Complete project close-out report; and conduct a close out meeting with the client
PROJECT MANAGEMENT TEAM LEAD
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to developing project managers and staff
- Review, implement and lead TAA Project Management practices. Support health and safety programs and encourage a safe working environment
- Establish and maintain a cooperative working atmosphere with clients, staff and contractors
- Address major issues with project managers
- Participate in the company strategy and growth
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Degree in Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering and Management, B.Sc., CET or equivalent
- Eng, PMP designation is an asset
- Ten or more years of general contractor experience in Industrial, Commercial or Institutional sector, managing medium sized projects (5-15 M$) with a minimum of 5 years experience in concrete rehabilitation & civil work is required. Experience within the power electrical utility sector is an asset. Ability to schedule and coordinate planned plant or utility shutdown work
- 2-3 years experience leading and managing a small team is required
- Demonstrated understanding and successful application of general construction and processes
- Detail orientation to review and interpret construction related drawings, specification, manuals, safety rules, and methods and procedures
- Excellent organizational and planning skills and ability to identify risks and potential solutions with the appropriate stakeholders
- Demonstrated application of financial rigor, budget discipline to the projects under his/her responsibility
- Ability to coach and develop others and provide group leadership as well as coordinate company resources to self perform scaffolding, shoring, concrete restoration/ excavation and other tasks as required
- Builds effective working relationships with clients, employees, and contractors with poise and diplomacy
- Strong client focus and ability to engage client to deliver results in a quick-changing environment
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication (written & verbal), presentation, stakeholder management and influencing skills
- Strong computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite, as well as experience with construction management and scheduling software Microsoft Project
- Must be willing to travel to visit work sites within Eastern Ontario (20-30% of travel required)
About the Job
As a Construction Manager reporting to the President and you will plan and lead ICI construction projects from start to finish in accordance with the work schedule, specifications, and budget.
The Construction Manager will also lead the Project Management Team, and support personnel.
How to Apply
Please apply by clicking the “Apply for Job” button and follow the instructions to submit your résumé. You can also apply by submitting your résumé directly to Jordan@parkerhuggett.com. If you are already registered with us, please contact your Recruiter and quote job 2515.
Thank you for your interest in this role. One of our Recruiters will be in touch with you if your profile meets the requirements for the role and the expectations of our clients. Please note that all candidates must be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity.