Parker Huggett Limited
Senior Commercial Manager, General Contracting – Permanent – 2713 Toronto, ON
About the Opportunity
Our long-term client, one of Canada’s largest and most reputable leaders in General Contracting, is interested in speaking with construction management professionals with a focus in contract, risk, claims, and overall commercial management who desire to advance their career while adding value to a solid senior nucleus!
Reporting functionally to the Commercial Director and operationally to the applicable Business Unit management team, the Senior Commercial Manager will be tasked with leading this function for the entire Ontario Business Unit. You will be accountable for providing contractual, financial, and risk management support to pre-construction and project teams, as well as commercial assistance to senior operations management.
Key functions include providing timely and accurate advice on a wide range of commercial matters, liaising with the internal Legal and Risk groups, working with third party experts and counsel and managing and mentoring other commercial managers, project commercial managers, commercial coordinators, and project team personnel.
This Top Tier General Contractor is a growing, dynamic, and innovative firm who have experienced continued and significant growth in the GTA and Ontario Market for both ICI and Civil Infrastructure projects.
The VP of this Canadian General Contractor has built a solid team with the mantra of, “you find the best people, and you’ll build the better together.” and their culture and success is a testament to that approach; They’ve continued to foster an environment focused on developing extensive project portfolios while cultivating learning and growth opportunities for a robust internal team.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Reviewing RFQ / RFP or bid / tender documentation and providing advice to pre-construction teams
- Conducting Prime Contract reviews to identify commercial risks and opportunities
- Ensuring RFQ / RFP or bid / tender documentation submissions are compliant and risks are properly addressed within the submissions
- Assisting in the preparation of standard, bespoke and/or modified Consultant and Subtrade Agreements, Joint Venture Agreements, MOUs and Prime Contracts
- Liaising with Risk on performance security and insurance
- Ensuring that project teams understand the obligations of the Prime Contract
- Working with project and operational management to develop procurement plans and strategies
- Ensuring that a formal risk-management process is implemented on every project, including identifying and documenting mitigation plans
- Monitoring risk management activities throughout the project lifecycle
- Mentoring and supporting project teams to ensure contractual compliance
- Assisting in the development and approval of subcontracts, including negotiation, and approval of change order requests
- Developing and delivering regular reporting updates to management on all commercial elements related to project contractual compliance, risk and forecasts
- Supporting the preparation of claims, including defining contractual entitlement and ensuring that the required level of substantiation and quantification is provided
- Working with Legal and Risk to support the defense of claims including engaging and directing third-party experts
- Supporting project teams with contract close-out
- Providing guidance with respect to warranty obligations and monitor warranty compliance
- Ensure consistent compliance with established commercial policies and procedures
- Participate in the development and distribution of best practice tools and procedures that align with the Management System
- Ensure that commercial best-practice processes and procedures are effectively implemented
- Support Project Management and Accounting in integrating commercial matters into reporting for Cash Management, Cost Control Risk & Opportunity assessment, and Project/Portfolio Forecasting
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with public and private sector clients, joint-venture partners, financing partners, and subcontractors and suppliers
- Work to ensure customer service is an integral part of every project
- Demonstrate HSE and Quality behaviors that reflect corporate expectations of Actively Caring and Road to Zero
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Business, or a related field
- 10+ years of construction and/or related commercial management experience working on large complex construction projects
- Advanced knowledge of construction contract administration and the principles of purchasing, finance, and estimating
- Strong negotiation skills, including resolution of deficiencies, disputes and / or claims
- Thorough understanding of contract law and detailed experience working with various contract types and forms
- Ability to effectively influence and negotiate favorable outcomes
- Ability to draft and interpret legal language
About the Job
This is a full-time, permanent position, with a preference for office-based work alongside the team. The company boasts a great culture, the ability to work with a strong team of construction professionals with a proven track record, and a supportive management style with genuine room for growth. Of course, competitive salary and industry leading benefits are on offer as well, including:
- Employee Ownership
- RRSP plans
- Other standard benefits like health, dental, life insurance and additional allowances
How to Apply
Please apply by clicking the “Apply for Job” button and follow the instructions to submit your résumé. You can also apply by submitting your résumé directly to ScottH@ParkerHuggett.com. If you are already registered with us, please contact your Recruiter and quote job 2713.
Thank you for your interest in this role. One of our Recruiters will be in touch with you if your profile meets the requirements for the role and the expectations of our clients. Please note that all candidates must be permitted to work in Canada to be considered for this opportunity.
For more information on Parker Huggett and our process for matching top talent with top organizations, click here: https://parkerhuggett.com/our-process/